Benicia Lions General Meeting Minutes 4/8/20 (Virtual Meeting)


Present: Brian, Judy. Amy, Adrean, Chris, Mike, James, Risa, Sandra


President Adrean Hayashi brought the meeting to order at  6:00 P.M. with pledge and prayer



All officers currently want to keep their elected positions. In addition, James Baldwin is willing to serve as a two year director, and Lions Kiwi Derrick, Jim Eckhardt, and Michelle Kenney will step into the position of 1 year directors. Lion Chris Kerz moved to approve this motion, Lion Brian McLaughlin seconded, motion approved.


2. Treasurer’s Report

  • A few bills have been paid - account balances haven’t changed much

  • Treasurer Chris Kerz plans to file Federal Taxes using our State filing number

  • We are holding off on storage space payment due to lack of administrative funds

  • Paul Lary will address the rodent problem at the storage space after COVID 19

  • We were able to cancel the “Shred Event” with the vendor at no cost

  • Lion Mike suggested holding a fundraiser for the administrative account. Likely no, but Chris will look into the regulations.


3. Scholarship Committee

  • Due to COVID 19 concerns, we will be accepting handwritten applications

  • We should receive applications by the end of April


4. Secretary’s Report

  • Secretary Amy will file new officers with LCIF

  • District Convention in Reno is cancelled

  • We will hold off submitting applications:  4th of July, Peddlar’s Fair, until we have more information on Social Distancing requirements


5. Comment from PPE Mask Creators - Lion Sandra and Lion Michelle

  • Lion Sandra shared that there are now over 39 mask-makers sewing masks to help protect nurses who do not have necessary protective equipment.

  • Almost 2,000 masks have gone to 27 hospitals

  • Lion Risa will donate shock chord

  • In addition to sewing, others are cutting cloth, providing resources or financial support

  • Masks are also going to anyone on the front lines, including grocery store and restaurant workers

  • Lion Amy moved to allocate $300 from charity account to support mask making. Lion Sandra seconded, motion approved.

  • President Adrean Hayashi motioned that the funds be released to “Maskateer” Ruby Wallis for the immediate purchase of supplies. Motion approve (through email)


6. Calendar Committee Updates (Risa, Amy, Michelle)

  • We need to work on a calendar which will include Lion B-days

  • Risa will put a link on the website on how to make masks

  • We can also solicit donations directly from our website

  • We will announce to the community that the Lions are here to serve during the COVID 19 pandemic in any way we can, including providing meals if necessary.

  • Risa will post a list of community resources on the website. You can email her with any ideas


Next (Virtual) Meeting: May 7th, 6:00

©2020 by Benicia Lions Club.

Questions? Info? 

Start a conversation with our 

club president Brian